ISC2.2/TCP problem - broken connection remains CLOSED forever

c/o Peter Gaal fs-info at sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de
Sat Oct 13 03:06:49 AEST 1990

Hi!

Over the last weeks, we encountered a severe problem with ISC 2.2 and it's
TCP/IP implementation:
If a tcp connection (telnet or ftp, if that matters) is not properly closed
on the non-ISC side (e.g. I have to reboot my PC or something like that),
the TCP on the ISC side goes to CLOSED state and remains there until the
next reboot. If some data is present in the output queue at that moment,
even the corresponding shell or ftpd remains alive (in this case, killing
the shell or the daemon properly closes the connection).

This happening rather frequently, we have to reboot the machine very often
because the number of TCP connections seems to be limited (some 20 connections
or so).

Does somebody out there have the same problem and maybe a solution to it?
Any hints would be great.

Bye
  Patrick