Writing UNIX video /graphics drivers

Kenny Goers kenny at msc.edu
Sat Oct 13 04:00:46 AEST 1990

Netland,

I've recently purchased Coherent, a U*NX ver 7 clone for the PC.
Currently I would like to write a device driver for my
VGA/SVGA card (Orchid Pro II), that will allow me to use the
graphic modes of the card and I don't know where to begin.  I've
written low level VGA/SVGA code for DOS, what I would like to know is the
kind of routines one implements, under a U*NX system.
Do you write a charcter or block driver?  Which functions do you
put in ioctl?  What general functions are comtained in most UN*X
video drivers?  Does anyone have a generic one I can hack up?
I intend this to be public domain when finished so your effort
won't be wasted.

Any help welcome,
kenny.
__