Let's support Pete's book!

John G. DeArmond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Sat Oct 20 04:42:05 AEST 1990

pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

><sigh>  As with every other textbook I've used for this course, the
>students still refuse to read it!  I'm even giving test points for
>discovering errors and only two or three will even open the book.  Such
>is life in an open-enrollment college!!

>Thanks again,
>Pete
>--

Hey Pete,  Here's what you do.  It's what my high school history
teacher did (damn him, he made me read enough to want to be politically
active :-)  At least half of the points on every test he gave would
be quotes from the book with words left out.  We had to fill in the
blanks.  To avoid rote memorization, he'd hand out memeographed sheets
of sentences from the same paragraphs with the rule being that some
OTHER sentence from that paragraph would be on the test.  I hate
to admit it but I learned more history from his courses than all the
others combined.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution