TCP/IP on SCO

Ben Knox sys0001 at dircon.uucp
Sun Oct 28 22:35:17 AEST 1990

I have some questions about TCP/IP on SCO UNIX:

1. If I have two PCs running UNIX, will I need to buy two separate copies
of SCO's TCP/IP package -- one for each system? (or can I buy one copy but
two serial numbers/activation keys).

2. If I want to later upgrade to NFS, will I need two separate copies of that
as well?

3. Which Ethernet cards are supported. Which is the most reliable, best
supported etc (and least likely to conflict with other hardware -- especially
Adaptec 1542B disk controller and VEGA 8-bit VGA card)?

4. Is it possible to use (cheaper) unbranded Ethernet cards?

5. What is the difference between thicknet and thin-net? What is 10BASET?

6. Can I perform backup to tape across the network under TCP/IP (using tar,
ctar or...?)?

7. Is it possible to use one of the PD TCP/IP packages on a DOS PC to
perform TCP logins and file transfers with SCO's package? If so, which is
best for this purpose?

8. What are 'packet drivers' and TCP/IP boot PROMS ...do I need them?

9. Are there any other things I should consider before buying and installing
the network?

10. Can anyone recommend any good books or papers which cover the practical
aspects of TCP/IP Lans, bridging between lans, ethernet etc?

My configuration is: SCO UNIX 3.2.2 on two 16MHz 386s (these may be upgraded
to faster systems at a later date).

Please reply by email.

Thank you!

sys0001 at dircon.UUCP   or   sys0001%dircon at ukc.ac.uk