Possibly damaged file system on ISC 2.0.2

bhutch at shine7.waterloo.edu bhutch at shine7.waterloo.edu
Mon Oct 15 11:08:50 AEST 1990

Thanks to the following individuals, who kindly answered my
questions:

Amrit Bains 	(abains at attunix.att.com)
Bill Bunton	(wgb at balkan.tnt.com)
Doug Pintar	(dougp at ico.isc.com)
Gary Huston	(gary at sci34hub.sci.com)
Connor Cahill	(cpcahill at virtech.UUCP) and
Steve Fulling	(swf at wyrms.unify.com)

About the `possibly damaged file system' notice, it means that
the file system wasn't unmounted properly. The file system may
be fixed by logging as root and execute the following commands:

# cd /
# umount /usr2
# fsck -y /dev/dsk/0s4
# mount /dev/dsk/0s4 /usr2

when nobody else is using the system. It was also suggested that
the file system should be checked more than once, to make sure that
all errors were fixed. As one could expect, all the files on that
partition vanished, but the partition is now mounting without any
problems or messages.

With regard to `gendev', the device which uses interrupt vector 5
in the file /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice in conflict with the mouse, I
quote Doug Pintar (from ISC):

>'gendev' is the central component of the HPDD (High Performance Device
>Driver).  It initially hogs all the interrupts so that it can boot on a
>variety of controllers.  If you use 'kconfig' and the 'configure HPDD'
>section to configure your system (tell it you have an AT-style controller)
>the unused interrupts (5 and 11 at least, maybe more) will go away.
>Then add the mouse.

J.R. Setti, The Transport Group, Civil Engineering, U of Waterloo, Ont., Canada