ISC UNIX and aha1542b

Brad Karp karp-brad at CS.YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 5 10:24:36 AEST 1990

I recently purchased an Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI controller, a Maxtor 8760S
SCSI drive, and an Archive 2150s SCSI tape drive. My system's configuration
before purchasing these items was with a single MFM standard AT disk
controller and two MFM hard disks attached to this MFM controller.

I intended to back up the contents of my two MFM drives using my new SCSI
tape drive, and then to restore the data from tape to the new Maxtor SCSI
drive. To do this, though, I needed to install the AHA-1542B and 2150s along
with my two old MFM drives.

So, I removed the jumper on the AHA-1542B which enables the floppy drive
controller functions to prevent a conflict with my existing AT MFM combination
hard/floppy controller, set the SCSI ID on the tape drive to 2, the SCSI ID
on the AHA-1542B to 7, and installed them in my machine. I then built a new
kernel with the HPDD configured properly; a "standard AT controller" as my
"primary" controller, and a "secondary SCSI controller with a tape drive
attached to it." I installed this kernel.

Unfortunately, the kernel I produced hangs my machine. My machine makes it to
Booting the UNIX system ..., reads /unix in, and then hangs when it starts
executing the kernel (right when the screen normally clears and presents
the memory available, etc.). I am almost positive that my machine has no
interrupt conflicts or I/O address range conflicts; my AHA-1542B is configured
to use interrupt 11, while my MFM controller is configured to use interrupt
14. I have the MFM controller configured to use the standard I/O port range,
and my AHA-1542B to use the factory-set 330h I/O address.

Other cards in my system: Two serial/one parallel I/O card, Paradise VGA 1024,
Logitech Bus Mouse card.

Can anyone suggest anything that I might try to fix this problem? Thanks.
--
Brad Karp, (203) 436-3060 (voice)          | The views expressed in the text
my 386: karp%softshop.uucp at cs.yale.edu     | you have just perused are not my