RFS over Streamlined TCP

Paul H Allen pha at cs.rit.edu
Fri Oct 26 11:56:45 AEST 1990

I have fifteen AT&T 6386 WGS running AT&T's SysV R3.2 OS.  All of the machines
are on the network with six of them connected by a Streamlined V8 Ethernet
Adapter (WD8003E board) using Streamlined TCP Workstation Package
UNIX V.3.2/386 (Spring 1989 Gamma) and the rest of them talk on the net via
Bell Technologies TCP Release 1.0 (Lachman).  All of the 6386s run rfs
enabling them to remote mount user directories from several 3B2s and /usr/local
resources from a Sun 3/80 (which runs SunOS 4.1 and the rfs works well).

The problem is that when I log onto a 6386 running Streamlined TCP and type a
command like make, the system hangs.  Then after a significant period of
time, the rfs mounted filesystems begin to unmount (yea no kidding).  This
is not a problem for the 6386s running Lachman TCP, which are identically
configured with regards to rfs mounting of resources.  Unfortunately, these
machines are not usable and a real big hit with the students.  I've looked
at the configuration and tried just about everything I could think of without
any success.  I waiting for Streamlined Networks to return my call, and
still waiting.  Anybody have any recommendations?

Paul Allen
Rochester Institute of Technology
Ross Memorial Building
P.O. Box 9887