4 Port Serial Boards

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Wed Oct 10 00:47:59 AEST 1990

In article <27447 at usc.edu> engwall at mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:

>In article <1990Oct5.213445.6176 at sdgsun.uucp> paul at sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:
>>

>>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:
>>
>> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
>> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
>> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
>> 4) Priced at $300 or less
>>

>  A short while back there was some talk here about a dumb 4 port
>serial board called a MU-440 made by DFI.  I think this board is
>supposed to be a clone of the AST 4 port/AT plus.  I remember seeing
>this board for sale at a computer swap meet for about US$100.  I've
>also seen a 386 Sys V driver for this thing at an ftp site, but I don't
>have that info with me now.  I don't know if the board has socketed URATS.
>I haven't used this board myself, but I'd like to hear from anybody that
>has.

I recently picked up an AST four port, minus the octopus cable but
with docs at a local electronics parts reseller.  It was $40.00 with 2
16450 uarts.  They are socketed on the AST card.  These guys buy out
all the old equipment when a company upgrades or goes out of business.
If there is one in your area that is another source for these cards.

Jim

--

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil
INET: jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com