Buying a 386 - questions

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Fri Oct 19 10:49:56 AEST 1990

FYI, I'm running AT&T SV/386 R3.2.2 with VP/ix (Simul-Task) on the
cheapest 25MHz with 64K cache clone I could find.  It's from COMTRADE
(see PC WEEK ads), and has 4 MB of 70ns RAM (I asked for 70 ns; 80 is
standard) but uses a 20 MHz 80386 running at 25MHz.  (They're going to
replace it, they said.  I had removed the heat sink to see the chip
number and haven't had a chance to replace it [no source of RTV!] but
it's been running without skipping a beat for over a week.)  I have
their VGA clone card driving a multisync monitor that I already had.

I'm using a WD1007-WA2 ESDI controller and it works fine but I
understand that the SV (SE?) version of that controller is better.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math