vpix under x11r4 under 386/ix 2.02

Thomas Roell roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Mon Oct 1 19:18:00 AEST 1990

>Not strictly true. VP/ix runs on a number of ASCII terminals which feature
>neither scancode ability, nor full PC graphics (e.g. DEC vt100). Since xterm
>is only a vt100 in disguise, you should be able to run VP/ix in an xterm
>window by saying it is a vt100 (or if you prefer, create the necessary VP/ix
>config files to drive the xterm).

I think you are very near to the real problem. I thought, that it should be
easy, to let vpix run under a normal xterm. If you choose a vt100 emulation,
a IBM-PC compatible fonts (yes there is one available) and hack a file for
the scan-code emulation, everything should be okay. Well, but theres a little
problem: There are two modes for vpix to run: On a terminal or one console.
If it runs on the console, vpix make some ioctl's to /dev/vt??. Some of them
must fail, if an other programm (here our X-server) owns this device already.
This would be no problem, if vpix would recognice, that it runs not on the
console directly and instead handle the I/O like on a serial terminal.
But vpix recoginces a terminal only, if the calling shell runs on a /dev/tty??.

Perhaps Interactive could give me some hints, how to work aroud this bug...

>The advantages of xpcterm are a true PC
>font (both in terms of graphics characters and font styling). I don't know
>about scancode emulation-it's certainly reasonable to do, but I never looked.
>The function keys are emulated by ESC-1 ... on ASCII terminals.

I think xterm is much better, cause never versions of xterm can now even handle
color.

- Thomas
Mail:                    Thomas Roell (c/o Daniel Hernandez)
                         Inst. f. Informatik / Technische Universitaet M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21 / 8000 Munich 2 / Fed.Rep. of Germany
E-Mail (domain):	 roell at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
UUCP (when above fails): roell at tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}