vpix under x11r4 under 386/ix 2.02

News Administrator news at heitis1.uucp
Sat Oct 6 05:32:50 AEST 1990

In article <4680 at tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Roell) writes:

>easy, to let vpix run under a normal xterm. If you choose a vt100 emulation,
>a IBM-PC compatible fonts (yes there is one available) and hack a file for
>the scan-code emulation, everything should be okay. Well, but theres a little
>problem: There are two modes for vpix to run: On a terminal or one console.
>If it runs on the console, vpix make some ioctl's to /dev/vt??. Some of them
>must fail, if an other programm (here our X-server) owns this device already.
>This would be no problem, if vpix would recognice, that it runs not on the
>console directly and instead handle the I/O like on a serial terminal.
>But vpix recoginces a terminal only, if the calling shell runs on a /dev/tty??.

I have successfully run VP/ix from xterm on my system.  I simply telnet'd
to 'local', re-logged in, and then ran the VP/ix from the new login.  This
works because VP/ix sees that it is logged in remotely, on an vt100 terminal.
Unfortunately, this removes your ability to use the Function keys, but I
use 'VI' for all my editing anyway.

	brian