GNU libg++ 1.37.1 under ISC UNIX 2.2

Brad Karp karp-brad at CS.YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 13 10:09:11 AEST 1990

I applied the patches to gas, gdb, gcc 1.37.1, and g++ 1.37.1 recently
advertised in this newsgroup to allow these GNU utilities to function
"natively" with COFF, and compiled gas, gdb, gcc, and g++ without a hitch.

gdb, gas, and gcc function perfectly. I successfully built g++, and produced
what looks like it should be a working compiler. Anxious to finally have
g++ up and running my machine, I went to install libg++ 1.37.0.

After I configured things in the Makefile, libg++ 1.37.0 compiled flawlessly.
Then, I went to compile the tests/ subdirectory in the libg++ tree to ensure
that I'd indeed produced a working g++ and library. The tests compiled just
fine, but things started going downhill when I went to run them.

The very first test that is run, tFile, bombs with the message:
"Failed assertion cout.writable() at line 30 of `tFile.cc'."

Apparently, the library I've produced has bogus I/O facilities in it. I tried
recompiling libg++ with the compilation flag that has the library bypass your
stdio implementation, but received the exact same error message from tFile
when I ran it.

Has anyone out there in netland been able to produce a working libg++ after
using the COFF patches for the GNU development tools? Replies by email
appreciated; I will summarize.

Thanks.

--
Brad Karp, (203) 436-3060 (voice)          | The views expressed in the text
my 386: karp%softshop.uucp at cs.yale.edu     | you have just perused are not my