Who sells 4.0? Does Intel??

Michael Almond mra at srchtec.UUCP
Fri Oct 19 12:15:37 AEST 1990

In article <34996 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>jacobson at cs.iastate.edu (Doug Jacobson) in <jacobson.656092004 at atanasoff>
>writes:
>
>	"Who sells UNIX 4.0 for the 386?  [...]"
	UHC sells System V Release 4.0 for the 386/486/860.  However, they
are still running X11R3.  I spoke with one of their sales people today and
he indicated they would have X11R4 within a few months.

	I got their marketing packet in the mail and here are the prices:

	UHC Unix System V Release 4.0 			$2,995
	  - On sell this month for $1,995
	  - Includes all of the following
	  - Includes documentation

	Foundation Set for Single Processor		$895
	  - BSD and XENIX extensions, troff, Extended
	    Terminal Interface, enhanced System
	    Adm. Interface
	Networking Module				$995
	  - STREAMS, BSD sockets interface, TCP/IP
	    and Internet Utilities, RFS, NFS
	Development Module				$695
	  - ANSI C Compiler, sdb
	X Window System Module				$795
	  - X11.3, X11/NeWS, OPEN LOOK
	    Graphical User Interface, XView toolkit

Just like all the other suppliers they don't offer online documentation, but
the manual set comes with the system and has been rewrite for the UHC
implementation (not the standard 3B2 stuff).  I talk with the marketing dept.
and they said only hackers/advanced users would use online manuals and prefer
the paper stuff.  I've yet to figure this one out.  I work on a Ultrix system
at the office and never use the paper junk.

Also, they said the main part of the high price involves the fees from AT&T.
Apparently AT&T is moving away from 3.2.  So I guess most other vendors when
they release 4.0 will have higher prices than they do now.

Does anyone know why they charge from X Window's.  It is free software
to anyone who wants it from MIT.  I could understand maybe $100 for media
and manuals, but $795?

UHC is suppose to have pretty close ties with AT&T.  They are appearing in
their booth at the trade shows. They say their is quite a bit of exchange
between UHC & AT&T.

I hope this helps.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra at srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)