SCO UUCP and XON/XOFF - Is HW handshake a requirement ?

Rob Freyder rob at lafayet.UUCP
Tue Oct 30 15:50:41 AEST 1990

I currently run a Telebit T2500 on a serial port locked at 19200 with
RTS/CTS under SCO Xenix 2.3.2.  SCO, and other vendors, apparently have
a problem implementing HW handshake properly !  I have installed the update
from SCO that supposedly "fixes" the problem.

	After some testing and several transmissions I ran uutraf to
check my stats and I noticed that the rates out of my system were twice that
of those coming into my system !  Is uutraf screwing up the calculation ?
Or is RTS support broken ?  The CTS light goes off and on during transmision
but the RTS light never goes off when I receive files.  Yet the rates with
2400 baud connections are in the 125 cps range while the rates coming in
from the same modem are in the 230 cps range.  I probably shouldn't trust
uutraf but I also heard that SCO hadnt properly implemented the RTS/CTS
handshake in there "fix".  So the stats got me to wondering.

So... I decided to try software handshake with XON/XOFF but no luck.
When I try uucp with the modem set for XON/XOFF uucico times out and I get
the alarm messages  ( uutry output )  and the transfer fails.

Is there a way to use XON/XOFF with uucp ?

BTW,   RTS/CTS is completely broken in SCO UNIX !
I learned that first hand helping a friend with a Telebit under ODT.

The people at SCO tech support admit it and have no plans to fix it.
It is still broken in their latest release of Unix as well !!!   8-(

Jeez.   Do they assume that everyone runs 2400 baud modems ??

Sigh...   Time to run fas or get an intelligent card I guess.
(no.. vendor changes are not an option at this point but I know that's what
you were thinking !  8-)    )

Thanks in advance for comments or pointers.

Rob.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International Inc.