SCO-Unix - booting to single user mode and then crash

Warren Tucker wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Fri Oct 19 06:17:05 AEST 1990

In article <9010171604.AA24053 at decpa.pa.dec.com> paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>    My Lab is running SCO Open DeskTop and I don't know what happen
>    When it goes to SINGLE USER MODE, it displays:
>    Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
>                                                ( or give root passwd
>    for system maintaince.
>    Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there

Somehow, your /etc/ioctl.syscon file got corrupted.
If you can get up on an emergency boot floppy, copy it's root floppy
version to the hard disk, like:

mount /dev/hd00root /mnt
cp /etc/ioctl.syscon /mnt/etc
umount /dev/hd00root

A one-liner text file, mine looks like:

d06:5:bd:3b:0:3:1c:8:15:4:0:0:0:0:0:0

>    Would like to know how to boot from floppy (N1/N2) and
>    mount hard disk on floppy's /mnt if any.

You should have made an emergency boot flopp[y set :-) :-(.