SCO-Unix - booting to single user mode and then crash

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Sat Oct 20 09:04:41 AEST 1990

In article <7965 at star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp at cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>Then it freezes or crashs and I can not press <return>.  Notice there
>>is no real linefeed between "startup," and "(or give"
>I have had the same problem. You can type in your root password
>and then <CTRL><CR> (!!!).

Control-Enter is newline, the same as Control-J.  (I just sent a message to
Willy, explaining this.)

The problem was probably caused by being in a non-cooked mode on syscon when
the system went down.  For example, I normally run ksh, even in root, and in
emacs mode, so my console is normally in raw mode.  One day, I went to shut
down, did an 'init 1', and everything was happy.  *However*:  the init
command returned, ksh went back to raw mdoe, and I waited for the system to
reboot.  When I came up, I got a shell (well, a password prompt first) that
was in raw mode.  I logged in, set things back to normal, did an 'init 1'
again, and that cleared it up.  As a result, I now do an 'exec sh' before I
shut down that way, and I haven't had any problems.