SCO SYSV/386 3.2.0 -- Accurate Procedure for "Emergency Boot Floppy"

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Sat Oct 20 01:36:59 AEST 1990

In article <27597 at usc.edu> annala at neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>Would someone please email (to me) and post an accurate procedure for making
>an emergency boot floppy.  I have tried four times following the procedure in
>the manual.  Each time the system will boot from the initial floppy, but will
>reboot again when I hit return after inserting the file system floppy.

I suspect your boot floppy is fine. Remember that it is a mounted filesystem,
though, and you can't just swap them out without properly unmounting it and
mounting the new one. Use the boot floppy to fsck the root hard drive
partition, install a known good kernel, and bring up your system with
that. If you really really need to have two floppies, you'll have to
mount the second one on another drive. One thing someone out there
might be able to come up with is a way to create a ramdrive that you
can move root into, so you could unmount the boot fd and mount some
critical backups on another. Our boot tapes do something of this sort
to get things started, and it works fairly well.

Good luck; sometimes it takes some experimenting.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)