SCO SYSV/386 3.2.0 -- Accurate Procedure for "Emergency Boot Floppy"

Jack Cloninger jmc at teqsoft.UUCP
Fri Oct 19 00:11:01 AEST 1990

annala at neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:

>Would someone please email (to me) and post an accurate procedure for making
>an emergency boot floppy.  I have tried four times following the procedure in
>the manual.  Each time the system will boot from the initial floppy, but will
>reboot again when I hit return after inserting the file system floppy.

The manual I have does not correspond to what is printed on the screen.  The
manual describes two choices (1. filesystem only, 2. Bootable only).  The
actual program gives a third choice (3. Root filesystem only).  The
procedure we have use for our SCO Unix SysV/386 has been tested and works.

1. Run mkdev fd.
2. Choose a floppy type.
3. Choose a drive (0 or 1).
4. Choose #2 (Bootable only).
5. After finishing the creation of the bootable floppy, you will have
   the chance to select making another.  Remove your bootable and replace
   it with a new floppy.  This time choose selection #3 (Root filesystem
   only).
6. Complete the procedure as for the bootable floppy.

You will now have a bootable floppy that will load Unix and a root floppy
that has a minimal root filesystem on it.  When you boot from the boot
floppy it will eventually prompt you to inser your root floppy.  Note
that the ROOT floppy CANNOT BE WRITE PROTECTED.  The root filesystem must
be writable by the system in order to run.

Another possible source of problems is the size of your kernel.  If you
have a lot of drivers installed you may be too large for the floppy.

I hope this helps.  If you follow these procedures without success you
may have a more serious problem.  Can you make ordinary mountable
filesystem floppies successfully?  If not, there may be a problem with
your mkdev or your floppy driver.

Jack
--
Jack Cloninger, TeqSoft, 112 US Highway 1, Tequesta, FL 33469    B-)
...uunet!comtst!teqsoft!jmc   Phone: 407-747-7163  Fax: 407-747-0354