Running X windows on a 16MHz 386sx

Randy Suess randy at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Oct 13 01:33:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct09.123819.366 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>>I have a 33 with 8 megs also - and with X - my machine still pages
>>>I guess I need another 4 megs of RAM..
>Yes - I run X release 1.2 - and I need at least another 4 megs of
>RAM.

	Something is weird.  I run chinet on a 20mhz 386 with 8 megs
	memory.  It is ISC 2.2 and I run X 1.2 on the console.  There
	are anywhere from 0 to 9 users at a time on chinet running
	things like trn, and cnews is doing its thing on 8 megs of
	news a day.  I NEVER swap.  I just looked at 2 weeks of sar
	output, and watched u386mon from an xterm while news was
	unpacking and there were 4 people doing various things.
	Never went above 80% memory usage.
	Sounds like some kernel tuning is in order.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy at chinet.chi.il.us