286 -> 386sx Upgrades

Tom Frauenhofer tvf at cci632.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 22:50:12 AEST 1990

In article <15261 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> wilker at descartes.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
> But can you actually get your hands on a 386sx board.
Yes, but it's getting hard.

>About two weeks ago I decided totake the plunge and buy one.
>I sat down with my 800 page COMPUTER SHOPPER, and called each
>ad that had a 80386sx MB for less than $400. No place had any
>in stock at the advertised price...Treasure Chest claimed their
>$295 price was a "misprint" and the real price was $375. Others
Try Hokkins Systemation in San Jose, CA.  They've got a 16 MHz 386sx for
$335 dollars.  I just got it a week ago from them, it works good, uses
the NEAT chipset.  Also Hokkins was pretty good in giving me all
the technical info I wanted before I bought, they shipped when promised,
and the little suport I needed to get it up and running was good (much
better than the place I bought my 286 board from several years ago,
anyway).  And they made sure that I knew what my system power
requirements would be for the configuration I was planning to use.
Their address/phone number is:

        Hokkins Systemation, Inc.
        131 East Brokaw Road
        San Jose, CA 95112
        (408) 436-8303
        FAX: (408) 436-3021

I've no relation to them, just a statisfied customer.

>said that due to the shortage of chips, they were only selling
>"bare bones" systems... MB. case, Power supply.. for several hundred
>more.
One place I called (not Hokkins) said that Intel was phasing out the 16 MHz
386sx chips in favor of the 20 MHz chips, but that 20 MHz production volumes
were still too low to meed the demand.  He claimed that this was because the
margins on the 16 MHz chips were a little lower than Intel liked and that
this was their way of increasing their profit margins on the sx.  I don't
know how true this is, sounds plausible to me.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW	ccicpg!cci632!tvf at uunet.uu.net	tvf1477 at ma.cs.rit.edu
"Little cockroach on the wall/Don't you have no friends at all?