swap space not first partition

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Sat Apr 27 01:43:07 AEST 1991

I was installing ISC on a single spindle system the other day and I
got the bright idea to put the swap partition in between root and
/usr.  Made some sense that it might help a bit even though you'd
have to seek across it every time whether you were swapping or not.

The installation scripts wouldn't let me do it, maybe they were
protecting me from myself.  Has anyone put swap space in the middle
of the disk?  Any thoughts regarding whether or not this is a smart
thing to do?  I think I know how to do it by hand, I'm curious about
whether or not anyone has tried it.

Alternatively it might make some sense in a system with lots of memory
to have it as the last partition.  Any comments or opinions about that?
--
Bill Kennedy  internet  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM or ssbn!bill at attmail.COM
              uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill