How to translate from f/s block # to absolute disk sector?

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Sun Apr 14 12:58:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr13.202621.272 at crom2.uucp> jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>the disk spins for a while and then mount tells me "free block read error on
>Primary AT Hard Disk unit 0 partition 4.... cannot mount /dev/dsk/0s4."

>then during Phase 5 - Check Free List fsck responds "CAN NOT READ: BLK 106626".

If you're getting a physical read error, I would expect the hard disk
driver to be giving you an error message along with mount's or fsck's
message.  Whenever I've seen a bad sector pop up, the driver gives you
the physical sector number.  But doesn't ISC do dynamic bad sector
mapping?  ESIX does; this is a really nice feature.
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)