Multiport I/O cards: intelligent or dumb?

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Wed Apr 17 01:44:32 AEST 1991

toad at cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) writes:

>processing, there is little activity on the system.  Of course, we can
>visualize a situation where 4 people are all downloading at 14,400 baud; but
>would there be a noticeable difference with the intelligent I/O?

yes - 4 high speed lines all locked at 38400 on a
dumb multiport board will load the system -

we at one time used all dumb serial ports - but about a year ago
we installed intelligent boards - along with more high speed modems -

and will all the modems going wide open (with zmodem transfers at high speeds)
the system is so fast it can't be noticed!

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator