Multiport I/O cards: intelligent or dumb?

Grant DeLorean grant at bluemoon.uucp
Sat Apr 13 09:13:58 AEST 1991

toad at cellar.UUCP (Tony Shepps) writes:

>The tough question is whether to go with the cheap non-intelligent multi-port
>card or the more expensive intelligent version.

 IMHO, you will be extremely pleased if you get an intelligent board. Just
with the CPU not having to service every character coming in makes it
worth buying the intelligent board.

 Make sure you put DigiBoard at the top of your list to check out. They
have superb tech support if you need it (free, too), their boards work
extremely well, they always have the current drivers available for download
if you want to update the driver (another free service), they have drivers
for darn near everything on an ISA, EISA or MCA type machine, the boards
and cables are very well made, they support hardware as well as software
handshaking, up to 56kbps on each port sustained...   I switched to them
from another intelligent board and am now completely sold on them.
--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant at bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation