Backup of DOS partitions

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Apr 26 01:29:45 AEST 1991

In article <3799 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>Does anyone have software which will backup the DOS partition on the
>hard disk from unix or xenix? Please don't suggest using dd, if you've
>tried you know why that's not the solution.

>I need a backup which will move DOS data structures between machines,
>vendors, and partition sizes. Ability to backup only part of a disk
>would be useful but not required.

Emmet Gray's mtools package will read files from the DOS partition
under unix.  That's not a complete solution of course, but it is
useful and might be a good starting point.  I like to move files
around by using zoo under their native OS then copying to msdos
formatted floppies.  As a worst-case scenario, you can always
extract the files on a PC and download them to a new machine with
a communication program.  Too bad zoo doesn't handle multiple
disks or writing to stdout...

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us