SCO Unix not ARPing on ethernet (summary)

James J Dempsey jjd at bbn.com
Fri Apr 26 01:01:08 AEST 1991

A week ago I asked this list for help with a problem I was having with
SCO Open Desktop where the network (tcp/ethernet) was working fine
except that it refused to ARP.

I received a phone call from Stuart Alpert at SCO who successfuly
diagnosed my problem in about two minutes.  During system
configuration I had run "mkdev tcp" more than once.  As a result, the
mkdev program added two copies of the "ifconfig wdn0" line to /etc/tcp
and two copies of the "cenetb ip /dev/wdn0" line to /etc/strcf.
Removing the duplicate copies of these lines and rebooting caused the
system to start ARPing.

I don't remember mkdev saying that you couldn't run it more than once.
Perhaps this should be documented.  Or better yet, perhaps "mkdev tcp"
could be made to notice that there was already a configuration line in
the system files and delete them before adding another.

Thanks to:
Larry Philps <larryp at scocan.sco.com>
Chip Rosenthal <chip at chinacat.unicom.com>

who responded to my message and especially to Stuart Alpert at SCO.

		--Jim Dempsey--
		jjd at bbn.com