side-effects of applying updates (ISC 2.2.1)

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Sun Apr 7 01:50:20 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.sysv386 I wrote:

>I got a surprise when I installed the X5 and X6 updates for asy.  This
>"fixes shared dial-in/dial-out lines with modems allowing for
>bi-directional communication over modems."  There was no mention in the
>release notes of any side-effects.

Jonathon at ISC mailed me a reply:

> Um, the X5/X6 update is for 2.0.2 and earlier releases.  They don't have
> job control.  The *only* updates for 2.2 and later are named
> "SSU<something>".  Btw, 2.2 already has all the stuff in the X5/X6
> updates as standard equipment.

Thanks for the info, Jonathan!  I just got the 2.2.1 kit from MSC and I
asked them to send a complete set of updates FOR THAT RELEASE.  Looks like
they sent me more than I needed!  Unfortunately, the documentation didn't
help much.

It would be VERY helpful if ISC would put at the top of each update release
note ( or maybe even on the floppy itself) something like:

	This update is applicable to release 2.0.2 only.

And in the notes for a relase:

	Release 2.2.1 incorporates the following updates to 2.0.2:
	X1, X2, X3, X4, X5...

	Updates for release 2.2.1 will have the designation:
		"SSU<something>"
--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo