side-effects of applying updates (ISC 2.2.1)

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Sat Apr 6 06:10:11 AEST 1991

I got a surprise when I installed the X5 and X6 updates for asy.  This
"fixes shared dial-in/dial-out lines with modems allowing for
bi-directional communication over modems."  There was no mention in the
release notes of any side-effects.

After building a new kernal and rebooting, the warning message "no access
to tty, thus no job control in this shell" appeared whenever csh is started
up!  Great!  There goes job control!  Is there a workaround for this?
Personally, I'll be using FAS instead, but if there's a workaround I'd like
to know what it is.

Since Driver.o is replaced by the update, I don't think there's any way to
back out.  So... I'm restoring from tape.

Are there any undesirable side-effects that have been noticed after
installing any of the other updates?  Do you install all updates or do you
only install if you absolutely have to?

I've learned my lesson!  From now on I backup /etc/conf before applying
updates.  Actually, I guess that since the update could mess with files
anywhere on the system the only safe thing to do is a complete backup.
--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo