Buying UNIX for a clone

Robert Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Mon Apr 29 23:17:17 AEST 1991

In article <418 at amgraf.UUCP> huver at amgraf.UUCP (Huver) writes:

|To be clear, DDI/DKI is the equivalent of old (V3) BCI (Block and
|Character Interface) Driver Ref.

As one who has both, I'd call it an aspiring equivalent.

|Other than the V3 character device clists are now trashed (V4 uses
|streams instead).

The old CLISTS are still ``in there''.  And as best as I can tell,
there is no internals documentation of the new streams based line
disciplines.

|It was ~$100 as I remember.

The BCI set can be had for about $225/US.  There are those who would
say it is the buyer being had.  If you write drivers for a living,
however, you just pay it and smile.

The bottom line is that the SVR4 documentation is spotty.  It goes on
at great length about things (IMHO) no one gives a damn about (like
FMLI) and is annoyingly silent about things that matter (like
streams-based terminal drivers).
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA