Buying UNIX for a clone

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Tue Apr 30 07:36:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr28.235013.8239 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>Try calling them with a problem, even within the first 30 days.  Like
>AT&T, the first question will be "what is the serial number of the Dell
>computer that is having the problem?"
>
>I'm not bashing Dell.  It sounds like a good product and the decision
>to only support thier own hardware is a basic business decision. If I
>was in their shoes I would probably have made the same decision.
>                                                Sterling, VA 22170

I agree that their philosophy makes sense.  By supporting only their own
hardware, they have a better sense of what works and what doesn't work.
This being the case, though, it pretty much makes Dell Unix's existence
irrelevent to a large percentage of comp.unix.sysv386 readers.  I'd be
willing to bet that a pretty small percentage of us has Dell hardware.
Bringing up DELL unix as a comparison to Esix, ISC or SCO doesn't amount
to much I guess.

--
bill at unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill