SCO License security - another flame

Stuart Lynne sl at wimsey.bc.ca
Sun Apr 28 19:26:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr26.181047.21554 at beaver.cs.washington.edu> pauld at cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) writes:

}worth of cpio-ing, we gave up and decided to hook both systems
>together on the net, and nfs mount one on the other. Problem - I
}should have remembered the posting on this from before.
}
}As a result, I am now intimately familiar with SCO's copy daemon (cpd)
}that is a prerequisite to running any network software on an SCO
}system. What of source happened, as readers with even moderately short
}memories will recall, is that I got a message saying "message detected
}from system with duplicate license". Under some circumstances, the box

}What is it with SCO that makes them think they are this special that
}they have to intoduce this type of system ? What happened to honor
}systems and all that ? This sucks, big big time. Not because we wanted

This has been complained about before and there is a new cpd hiding in one
of the fix disks available from SCO.

The new cpd only does it's thing when you boot up. And then it only put's
out a polite message on the system console. At least it does for only two
copies the same. When I re-installed one of the systems last week I guessed
at which serial went with that machine and got it wrong. I guess I should
rebrand cpd but it doesn't seem to be a bother with it's polite message the
way it is.

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7785 604-937-7718(fax) sl at wimsey.bc.ca