SCO License security - another flame

Ralf U. Holighaus ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de
Mon Apr 29 19:11:00 AEST 1991

pauld at cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) writes:

>"re"installed license copy #2 on the new box, figuring that
>duplication for a few hours for the purpose of copying out own files
>from one disk to another was legitimate.

In fact, from the legal point of view, it is NOT legitimate.

>opticals - wanna new system: just format the disk, and dd the relevant
>system straight onto it. Quick, efficient, easy and generally
>foolproof.

You could do so with SCO, and then usr /etc/brand for the system speci-
fic files to 'brand' the new system to the new serial numbers.

>and as a side effect, make my life more difficult. If SCO paid the
>same attention to security that ISC did to a bug-free TCP/IP, we'd
>all be better off. [...]

On the other side: they obviously paid more attention to security than
ISC. Or did you read hundreds of news messages concerning 'SCO security
bug'? I remember well the 'ISC security bug'...

--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support