Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Fri Apr 19 05:13:17 AEST 1991

fred at compu.com (Fred Rump) writes:
> dvb at emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) writes:

> >However, my original impression that SCO is completely hopeless has been
> >changed.
>         To what? The respondents plainly tell you that SCO has a better
>         product. Did you wish to listen or was your query mere
>         propaganda?

In essence, he asked whether he was in for major hassles with SCO.  The
answer was no; it works.  He didn't poll all the {AT&T;ISC;ESIX;Dell;...}
users for a general evaluation; there's no sense trying to read one into
the responses he got to a restricted question, posed to a particular subset
of the group.

>         ...With roughly 80% of the
>         world-wide market one would have to be pretty dumb to want to
>         swim upstream and claim the minority view is better. Or is it
>         that everyone else is wrong?

1.  Aren't invented statistics handy when you want to prove a point?  The
80% figure for SCO includes Xenix (and MOSTLY Xenix, in fact) - which is a
separate product (discussed in a separate newsgroup) and irrelevant to this
discussion.  I don't have current figures, but the last I heard, from last
winter, ISC's 386 UNIX was outselling SCO's UNIX.  So now what?

2.  By your reasoning, McDonald's makes the world's best hamburger--one
would have to be pretty dumb to want to swim upstream and claim that some
minority burger-maker could do better, right?  Similarly, Geraldo Rivera
is the world's best investigative journalist; New Kids on the Block are
the world's best musicians;...

(No offense intended to SCO!  I'm just trying to make the point that
"most popular" != "best".)

Look, the products from the various vendors have various advantages--
nobody is an absolute stellar runaway or they'd have all the sales; nobody
is abysmal or they'd be out of the business.  Moreover, you can do a lot
better at figuring out which product is better for *your* needs if you
leave the vendor-flaming out of the discussion.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.