boot floppy

Michael Lodman jlodman at beowulf.ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 30 02:50:07 AEST 1991

I have tried making a file system on /dev/dsk/f0q15d (no boot track)
and have gotten the thing created after some pain. When I mount
the filesystem, there are no errors.

If I then umount it and remount it, the filesystem has gone really
crazy, with allocations that now make no sense, and that fsck can't repair.
It is almost as if the filesystem is slowly deteriorating.
Eventually, fsck deletes the root inode and the filesystem is gone.
It almost seems as if umount is destroying it.

Anybody have any guesses as to what went wrong? I hope to be using
ISC Unix again soon but would like to get this problem resolved.
The particulars were a 386 clone at 25MHz, and ISC 2.02.
It didn't seem to be limited to a particular high density floppy.
I needed to keep the boot track clear, so I didn't use /dev/dsk/f0q15dt.

--
Michael Lodman	Department of Computer Science Engineering
	University of California, San Diego