C-news and SCO Xenix 2.3.3

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 02:07:21 AEST 1991

[ discussion widened, because it's generally relevant.  please edit followups ]

syd at DSI.COM writes:

> Finally had time to track down a problem with C News and SCO Xenix 2.3.3.

This problem is probably far more generic than it wants to be.  The strchr
in all the SCO development systems I have to hand is the same
(that's versions 2.2.0b 2.3.0d 2.3.1b 3.2.0f) and is an assembly coded
version of (approximately)

	char *strchr(char *s, c) { return memchr(s, c, strlen(s)); }

This is only slower than Henry's fake where the match is significantly
earlier than the length of the string, and this is only of material
consequence[*] in that single strchr in active.fast.c.

Unfortunately, I have seen this algorithm for strchr in other places,
especially where memchr() is fast.  So, if relaynews takes more than
a second or so to run for a single article, this is worth examining,
I guess.  Sigh.

Geoff & Syd:  Matthew's CPU thanks you -- it was running out of cycles.

------
[*] as far as relaynews is concerned, anyway.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)