Multiport I/O cards: intelligent or dumb?

Tony Shepps toad at cellar.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 12:33:19 AEST 1991

We're running a BBS under SCO Unix.  Right now, we have two lines, but in the
near future we'd like to expand to three or four.

The tough question is whether to go with the cheap non-intelligent multi-port
card or the more expensive intelligent version.

We are running HST dual-standard modems exclusively, so we expect to always
communicate with the modems at 38,400 baud.  Beyond the BBS users and news
processing, there is little activity on the system.  Of course, we can
visualize a situation where 4 people are all downloading at 14,400 baud; but
would there be a noticeable difference with the intelligent I/O?

Any hints would be *greatly* appreciated.  Thanks in advance!