SCO RTSFLOW (was re: Help Telebit and SCO RTS/CTS Setup)

Greg Andrews gandrews at netcom.COM
Tue Apr 9 12:15:11 AEST 1991

In article <XYRPT1D at geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>gandrews at netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:
>
>>I'm afraid that's not the case.  Half duplex data flow is defined as
>>data flow in one direction at a time.
>>

>I don't agree. The term `half duplex' applies to the link between the
>two DCEs, that is, the modems. The link between the modem and the
>computer is, of course, full duplex, as there are individual data lines
>in the cable for receiving and transmitting.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Uwe.  As I said
earlier, I consider the term "half duplex" to describe the way data flows
through the channel.  Not the way data COULD flow, but the way data DOES
flow.  The interaction through the RS232 cable would also be half duplex
since that's how the data flows.

I don't have an authoritative reference (EIA or V.24) to check, so I'll
have to leave it at that.

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |