RTS/CTS (was re: Help Telebit and SCO RTS/CTS Setup)

Aron Burns aronb at gkcl.ists.ca
Wed Apr 10 02:26:53 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.173125.22219 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>at various speeds and published the results.  They said that at higher
>transfer rates (57.6K and 115.2K), they used RTS/CTS handshaking because
>(I'm paraphrasing) that's what you had to use when you had high speed

Many devices don't respond quickley to an XOFF request, so the
buffer on the requesting device overflows with resultant data loss.
This is particularly true of the UART built in to microcomputers.

Some smart i/o cards respond to XOFF quickly enough to
do software flow control at high data rates.  The modem
also has to respond quickly.  If it all works, you can save
some money on cabling :-).

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb at gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)438-6650 x317        comes from the hottest fire"