REPOST: Need advice on partitioning a HD

mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
Mon Apr 1 08:11:22 AEST 1991

This is a repost; apparently, it didn't get out of Calgary when our internet
feed took a dive.  Sorry if you have seen this before.
-------------

I will soon be getting either a 330 Mb or 667 Mb SCSI drive (I am not sure yet
as it depends on how much longer I am willing to wait, but it will likely be a
330 MB).  Does anyone one out there have any advice as to how I could best
partition/use the drive?

My current setup is Esix Rev. D, a 150 Mb ESDI drive, and 8 Mb of mem.  I am
under one fairly important constraint: I need 60 Mb for DOS, and because of
the way that hardware and Esix works it has to come off the ESDI, which
therefore is my boot drive.  (This will require 2 32 Mb partitions if I want to
be able to access one of them with Esix.  Will the new Esix 4.0 be able to read
big DOS partitions?)

I run X almost exclusively, and do fairly heavy program development. The system
is only used by 4 or 5 people, rarely more than 2 at a time.  I do little to
no uucping, and I do not have nor do I plan on getting a news feed in the
forseeable future.

E-mail would best, as this really is not of too much general interest I
imagine.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Hoffos
--