Dos and unix on same Disk

Aris Zakinthinos azakinthinos at lion.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 1 10:43:01 AEST 1991

A friend and I spent a couple of hours one day tring to get SCO unix
to accept DOS partitions of > 32k on another friends machine.
Well we finally did it.  The problem is as follows:

If the DOS partition is > 32k the DOS type (this is what we called it
it  may be really b e called something else) is 6.  In the boot up
code SCO only checks for DOS types of 4 and 2? (I don't remeber if it is
really 2 but it is another number).  With the advent of partions of
greater 32k Microsoft introducted DOS type 6.  The way we got
SCO to recognize the >32k partion is to change the comparison of 2 to
6.  We don't know if there are any adverse affects to this change but
everything seems to be working fine.

I don't exactly remember where the boot up code was found (we
traced through the boot up process with a debugger)
so I can't tell you how to change it but when I go home I will
see if I can find the info.

The other way we though might work is to simply change the 6 to a 4
in the Master boot track.  We didn't go for this option as we don't
know what affect this wil have on DOS (if any).

Hope this gives some insight.

Aris.