How to make a laserjet work with Xroff?

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Sun Apr 7 14:25:51 AEST 1991

In article <449 at warthog.octel.UUCP> richard at octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) writes:
>I've been trying to get xroff working with ISC - I know it can be
>done but i'm stuck. the interface uses a program called utod which I can
>find no documentation on after running man and RTFM'ing for 3 hours.
>After playing keyboard for a bit -i found that utod can take a -z flag
>which I tried and doesnt do what I need.

>Problem is is that printing loses the l and i characters. Xroff
>specifically says if that happens change the stty settings -etc etc.

>In looking for a way to change "stty" settings for lpt1 I sort of approach
>the ludicrous. So how do I make sure all 8 bits and proper post processing
>happens in ISC unix?

>It appears that utod is some sort of thing that copies unix files to dos
>files -but what does it do next?

You probably don't need utod at all.  What you really need to do is insert
something like this in the interface script at the beginning:

	stty 9600 cs8 opost onlcr ixon <&1

Which will do the newline to carriage-return-newline conversion that utod
seems to do.  Plus enable 8 bit mode and X-on/X-off processing.

Further, since I suspect xroff downloads fonts to the printer, you may have
to introduce a "-op" option to the interface file that results in a stty
something like this (because font downloads have binary data in them and you
don't want the font downloads interpreted as carriage returns or tabs etc.):

	stty 9600 cs8 -opost ixon <&1

(If you're not running at 9600, change the 9600 to the speed you're really at)

With the above changes, you can probably replace the utod call with "cat".
--
Chris Lewis,
clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca or ...uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis