INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly...

Robert den Hartog rden at rden.gen.nz
Thu Apr 11 17:30:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr9.084115.1612 at dynas.se> sgren at dynas.se (Johannes Sjogren) writes:
>In article <1991Apr08.133110.11967 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>moore at forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
>
>I have just recently had exactly the same problem. Init complained about all
>my getty:s, on both console, vtxx and ttyd0.
>I booted my system from floppy and changed the initdefault entry in
>/etc/inittab to 's'. After this I was able to reboot from the hard disk
>and get the system up in single user mode. If I tried doing "init 2" to get
>to multiuser I just ended up in respawning getty-land again..
>
>>The proble is probably one of the following:
>>
>>	1. /etc/getty is gone
>>	2. /etc/gettydefs is corrupted (or at least the console, vt01 and vt02
>>	   entries are trashed)

[ and some more ]

Had the same on Esix, after booting up on the 1st installtion floppy and
installing it's /etc on my hard disk I started comparing things.  Turned out
that something had bitten the end off /etc/sulogin.  (and is was 2 in inittab,
so why did /etc/sulogin matter?)
--
Why do we have alarm clocks?  Surely God meant for us to sleep longer.

Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.