INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly...

Fred Walter fred at walter.uucp
Sat Apr 13 12:20:36 AEST 1991

sgren at dynas.se (Johannes Sjogren) writes:
>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>moore at forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>>help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
>
>I have just recently had exactly the same problem. Init complained about all
>my getty:s, on both console, vtxx and ttyd0.

Did your /etc/inittab file have two or more entries with the same 'unique'
identifier ? A friend's Interactive Unix had the init problem, and when
the 'unique' identifiers (which came that way right out of the box, if you
used the menu during the install to setup the serial ports a certain way)
where changed so they really were unique, the problem went away. It was
*very* annoying that it came out of the box with this problem. Not to
mention sendmail kept on respawning (until it was ripped out and replaced
with smail 3.1.19). Not to mention mailx will dump core when you try to
respond to certain mail addresses (that mail will correctly respond to).
Not to mention ...

Grrr... But once all the problem software was worked around (or ripped out
and replaced) it's pretty nice.

	fred

School address : grwalter at watmath.waterloo.edu
Home   address : watmath.uwaterloo.ca!xenitec!walter!fred

Can you say "Thesis Avoidance" boys and girls ?