ESIX sockets

Ross Biro bir7 at ypig.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 4 12:57:34 AEST 1991

>> Has anyone been able to get any sockets programs working with ESIX
>> sockets?
>
>     ESIX rev D does not have BSD sockets.  The routines that you are
>trying to use look like BSD sockets, but they are in no form or way BSD
>sockets.

	I'm sick of ESIX sockets being bashed.

	ESIX sockets are close enough to BSD sockets to port almost
anything without trouble.  I've had more problems from signal handlers
than from sockets.  The only thing you need to watch out for is that
you cannot use read or write with the sockets.  The rest is easy, just
remember that they were built on top of the transport library. A small
list of some of the things I've gotten to work using sockets under
ESIX: X, finger, fingerd, inetd, telnet, ftp, libresolv.a, tinymud...

Quit whining and try a little.  I did all this without the manuals,
just some bsd man pages and a little effort.

	Ross biro bir7 at leland.stanford.edu
	Ross Biro bir7 at leland.stanford.edu