ESIX sockets

Uri Blumenthal uri at watson.ibm.com
Tue Apr 9 05:51:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.025734.8373 at leland.Stanford.EDU>, bir7 at ypig.stanford.edu (Ross Biro) writes:

|> >     ESIX rev D does not have BSD sockets.  The routines that you are
|> >trying to use look like BSD sockets, but they are in no form or way BSD
|> >sockets.
|>
|> 	I'm sick of ESIX sockets being bashed.
|>
|> 	ESIX sockets are close enough to BSD sockets to port almost
|> anything without trouble.  I've had more problems from signal handlers
|> than from sockets.

Well, the signal handlers aren't cake either, but it doesn't make sockets
any more compatible, methinks...

|> The only thing you need to watch out for is that
|> you cannot use read or write with the sockets.

Does it mean that if I want to port a package, which unfortunately uses
bith file IO (read/write vs. fread/fwrite :-) and sockets -  I'll have
to browse manually all the source, checking every occurance of write,
and if it looks like socket - changing it to send/recv?   Possible,
of course, but not nice at all, especially for real big packages.

|> The rest is easy, just
|> remember that they were built on top of the transport library. A small
|> list of some of the things I've gotten to work using sockets under
|> ESIX: X, finger, fingerd, inetd, telnet, ftp, libresolv.a, tinymud...

If by X you mean some X-clients - then it's not a big deal (isn't
worth of reporting to the Net anyway :-).  But if, otherwise, you
mastered Roell's X11R4 with ESIX sockets - I'm absolutely SURE  a
lot of people would like to hear more about it (and me among them).

|> Quit whining and try a little.  I did all this without the manuals,
|> just some bsd man pages and a little effort.

Just can't but ask: how did you guess the additional parameter
("struct t_call *tcall"), and _where to put it to_? I don't
think BSD manual tells you anything about it, nor SysV
books, when it comes to listen(), or accept()...

Also,  I always thought that compatibility was "invented" to let you
to keep "a little effort" as little as possible - preferably to zero.
Otherwise - it doesn't sound too hard to convert sockets-using thing
to TLI too...
--

Regards,
Uri Blumenthal	uri at watson.ibm.com,  uunet!angmar!uri