"Can't find database" error on SCO UNIX

COBIA,FRANK NAYLOR gt2186a at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Apr 3 12:46:20 AEST 1991

    I use a computer running SCO UNIX when I am at home (not away at school).
The computer, on a seemingly random basis, will not let anyone log on because
it "Can not find database for this terminal" (not the exact message). When
the support agreement was still valid, I reported it to SCO. They admitted
that it was a bug in the security software that shows up on systems with a
large number of logins (we have 7 modems with people login in and out a lot).
They said that the /etc/auth/system/ttys file was being corrupted. We found
a way to fix it when someone calls complaining that they can not get into the
system. This is unacceptable for two reasons: 1) We don't want paying customers
to have to call and complain. 2) Unless the console already has someone
logged on, we can't get in either.

    We got a small magazine from SCO (do not remember the name) that suggeted
to us that a bug fix had been made available on their BBS. When we follow the
procedure in the magazine for logging on the BBS, we get to a prompt that says
"Shere=sosco", but then it seems to lockup.

    When I called Tech Help, they said they had never used the BBS and
therefore they could help me. They also refused to talk to me about the
problem with being payed $100, even though we had reported the problem
during the 30-day free period. I do not think that we should have to pay
$100 to get a bug fix for a product that we payed more than $1000 for.

    Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Frank

--
COBIA,FRANK NAYLOR
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt2186a
Internet: gt2186a at prism.gatech.edu