wanted: UNIX or clone

Geraldo Veiga ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 30 06:43:10 AEST 1991

In article <24 at metran.UUCP> jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>> >Look at Word Perfect, they have a version for SCO Unix and Interactive
>> >Unix - but not for ESIX.
>>

>I think it's just a case of Wordperfect not realizing how similar ISC UNIX
>and ESIX are.

(Deleted Stuff - Excellent discussion on using off-the-shelf software
in under Xenix, ISC and Esix - see original article)

Let me try to bring this thread to its conclusion.   How can Esix (and
all the small-volume 386/ix vendors like Dell, Microport, UHC) expect
to stay in business  if users are not 100% sure they can run
software sold for SCO and ISC?

Someone mentioned in a previous posting that commercial software is
unimportant for most Esix users.  IMHO, this is only the case because
interesting software is either expensive or unavailable.   I hardly
ever use a spreadsheet, but when I do, I would love to be able open a
window with EXCEL instead of sc.