wanted: UNIX or clone

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Tue Apr 30 06:27:47 AEST 1991

jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>I think it's just a case of Wordperfect not realizing how similar ISC UNIX
>and ESIX are.  I really doubt there would be any problem that could not be
>easily worked around.

>There are a few minor differences, like ESIX calling the virtual terminals
>/dev/vcXX where ISC calls them /dev/vtXX, and ESIX using the AT386-M terminfo
>for the console while ISC calls it AT386.

maybe so - but many vendors don't consider ESIX a major contender in
the 386 based UNIX market - so they don't show an interest in supporting it

>If you are including Xenix, in that case Wordperfect has two different
>products -- one for UNIX and one for Xenix 386.  The Xenix product will
>not run on UNIX, due at least to not having support for the the UNIX
>console in the Xenix product.  Xenix handles the console differently.

No, Word Perfect has seperate releases for ISC and SCO UNIX.

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis