Using Gnu instead of the Development system

Len Reed lbr at holos0.uucp
Fri Apr 5 02:18:04 AEST 1991

I want to put Unix on my home PC.  It's a 386-33 ISA machine.  Is it
possible to buy Unix without a development system and run GCC?  Price
is a paramount concern for this system.

I'm considering ESIX and Microport, both of which sell 2-user
V.3 versions for under $400.  If I add GCC to one of these will I
be okay, or do I need the development system to get the /usr/include
stuff and who knows what else?   I don't need most of the stuff that
comes with the development system: SCCS (I use RCS), make (I use dmake
and Gnu-make), lex (...flex), yacc (...bison or Berkeley yacc), etc.

Another reason I don't want to buy the development system is that I
may eventually spring for V.4 (maybe in a year) and much or all of what
I spend now will be wasted.

-Len

--
Len Reed