Does Dell ship manuals with SVR4?

Randy Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Wed Apr 3 09:27:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.201244.5054 at xstor.com>, iverson at xstor.com (Tim Iverson) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar24.181115.5476 at athena.mit.edu> vinnie at athena.mit.edu writes:
|> >    I have an ISA 486 system with Dell SVR4 installed [...]
|> > [...] , but I don't have a manual set for SVR4.
|>
|> Does Dell not ship manuals with its Unix?  What about online man pages?
|>
|> - Tim Iverson
|>   iverson at xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

I haven't seen a response to this yet, so I'll jump in...

Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
at all if they are available on-line.  So, we make it optional.  The
salesperson should have asked the gentleman above if he wanted to order
the paper docs, and that would have avoided the problem for him.   Also,
the paper docs can be ordered as one large complete set, or ordered
individually.  For example, the average user might want only the User's
and Ssyadm's guides, and not the development kit docs, etc.

In addition, each copy of SVR4 is shipped with a paper 'Getting Started'
type document that explains what to do for initial bringup, configuration,
and a brief chapter on several functional areas, i.e. LP, UUCP, SL/IP,
networking...

The idea was to offer options to fit more customer profiles rather than
having one 'canned' offering that was less interesting to our customers,
and more expensive.

---
Randy Howard                        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
Dell Computer Corp.                 @'s:jrh at mustang.dell.com